SCCC Celebrates Arbor Day

An+Eastern+redbud+tree%2C+otherwise+known+as+the+Forest+Pansy+outside+the+Babylon+Student+Center+on+Tuesday%2C+May+3%2C+2022.+Arbor+Day+celebrates+the+beauty+that+trees+bring+to+the+environment.+

Niyah-Marie Preacely

An Eastern redbud tree, otherwise known as the “Forest Pansy” outside the Babylon Student Center on Tuesday, May 3, 2022. Arbor Day celebrates the beauty that trees bring to the environment.

Ni'yah-Marie Preacely, Opinion Editor

Suffolk County Community College was honored as a Tree Campus last month for the sixth straight year by the Arbor Day Foundation for its commitment to planting trees and promoting a clean and safe environment. The designation was given as part of Arbor Day celebrations. 

Tree Campus USA is a program created in 2008 by the Arbor Day Foundation to acknowledge universities and colleges for efficient campus forest management. With everything happening with the current state of planet earth’s climate, it’s a necessity to take care of the environment. 

Arbor Day, April 20, is a day where individuals around the world are encouraged to plant trees to help better the environment and cherish it. Globally, 33 countries celebrate Arbor Day. The first American Arbor Day was started by J. Sterling Morton from Nebraska City, Nebraska, at a meeting of the Nebraska State Board of agriculture in Lincoln. In America, it is celebrated on the last Friday of April. 

It’s a day to take a step back and acknowledge the beauty of nature and what the trees mean to us.

— Melanie Morris-Carsch

“We are very excited and proud of what we’ve accomplished and built at the college, ” said Melanie Morris-Carsch, Suffolk’s assistant director of sustainability. “It’s a day to take a step back and acknowledge the beauty of nature and what the trees mean to us.” 

Suffolk’s Arbor Day celebration is relevant since the climate crisis is growing exponentially. The feeling of needing to take action is rising, especially on Suffolk’s campus. Recently, there has been a decrease in trees due to the state of the planet’s climate and deforestation. However, the holiday is getting students in the spirit of helping their environment by planting trees.

“I think Arbor Day is extremely beneficial to the environment,” said Sofia Holzhauser, 19, president of Suffolk’s environmental club. “Deforestation is constantly occurring and destroying our planet, the planting of trees is a great way to attempt to slow down the negative effects of deforestation & the climate crisis our planet is facing.” 

Along with celebrating Arbor Day, Suffolk’s environmental club has been promoting community service to help their environment. Bringing everyone together for the common goal of helping better and cherishing the environment is a great way to build morale amongst the students. 

One thing that Suffolk students can do to become more aware of environmental needs is to attend the St. Joseph’s University beach clean-up on Saturday, May 7, at Robert Moses field 2.” 

According to Holzhauser, “Every action, no matter how small, helps.”