Reflection of my Time at SCCC

James Quigley, Staff Writer

My time spent at Suffolk County Community College has been quite the journey, to say the least. I’d like to start by taking a slight road trip back to 2021. I had lost a lot of self-confidence over the pandemic due to not being present in in-person classes.

That made me feel lost and I had trouble connecting with the subject and putting my best in. I strongly believe that returning to classes helped me regain my confidence to do well in school and use my fullest potential. I decided to pursue a journalism major for multiple reasons: I have always watched the news when I grew up, whether it was sports, weather, or just general news that was trending and presented on television which intrigued me in ways I can’t put into words. I saw my future self in those anchors and that’s when I knew I had to follow that path. By taking journalism classes, I was able to really learn the ins and outs of the field.

I like how professors have taught me about multiple aspects of journalism and how many fields it covers. One thing I won’t forget about my time here at Suffolk was getting to know my fellow classmates. I’ve enjoyed all of the collaborative efforts I have achieved with everyone throughout my time here. 

Last but certainly not least, I will always be proud of my contributions to Compass News. I was incredibly happy to see my work published for the world to see. By having my work published, it gave me an extra boost of confidence within me to continue studying journalism in the future as when I saw my work being published I felt heard, and was glad that my word was out there, all those days doing the research paid off, and seeing that ‘by-line’ gave me a feeling of satisfaction and that’s when I told myself – wasn’t this the whole point? My goal to follow the path of journalism grew stronger during my time in Suffolk and I’m so grateful for that.

After this semester, I will be transferring to Stony Brook University, where I will continue my studies. I would like to thank all my professors for teaching me and I look forward to what the future holds.