Compass News

Navigating News on the Ammerman Campus Since 1962

Compass News

Compass News

A Moment In Time
A Moment In Time
April 4, 2024

Students drink up the Stanley Quencher craze

Jay Kass
Giana Lacasse, Giana Solaro and Payton Rhodes hold their Stanley Quenchers on Feb. 1, 2024. The tumblers are popular among Suffolk students. (Compass News/Jay Kass)

Stanley tumblers have been around for over 100 years, traditionally targeting construction workers and other rugged people. In recent years, though, Stanleys have seen a surge in demand, with the help of social media endorsements and mommy blogs.  

The new interest in Stanley products, especially the Stanley Quencher, led the company’s sales to hit about $750 million in 2023, up from $73 million in 2019, according to data reviewed by CNBC Make It.

The Stanley Quenchers are more eye-catching to women, with over 90 different colors, helping the cup craze grow. You can see the Quenchers held by students all around the Ammerman campus. The students of Suffolk County Community College are no exception to this craze. 

Payton Rhodes

For busy students like Rhodes, 19, who is taking prerequisites for an ultrasound program and has been a Suffolk cheerleader since fall 2023, the Stanley Quencher was her choice to avoid the need for multiple drink stops throughout the day. “I can fill it up in the morning and I come right to practice from my classes …. It lasts all day, and I can just bring it to cheer, and I still have cold water,” she said, adding that it’s also a fashion statement. “The design, the color, and what’s not to love. Get Stanley.”   

Gianna Lacasse

Lacasse, 19, a liberal arts major who has had her yellow tumbler since the summer, said she likes how well her Stanley Quencher is easy to carry around and keeps liquid cold. But there’s more. “My favorite thing is the amount of water it holds.”

Jada Morales 

Morales, 20, a liberal arts major taking prerequisites for nursing who has been cheerleading for seven years, said a major reason why she likes her Stanley Quencher is that it fits in her car cup holder. “I had a cup before this, but it was thick, so it was rolling all over my car,” she said.

Gianna Scolaro

“I got it last Christmas,” said Scolaro, 18, who is studying to be a fitness specialist, of her pink Stanley Quencher. For students such as Scolaro, it’s easy to forget to hydrate throughout your day, but having a trendy cup makes it more appealing. “I can drink water out of it. I don’t drink water, so I can now.”  ‘

Olivia Donnelly

“I fell for the trend; I was intrigued,” Olivia Donnelly, 20, an adolescent English education major, said. The straw and the handle really did it for me.” The Stanley Cup’s style is one of the most appealing aspects, pulling people in with its easy convenience. “The handle is very convenient,” she said.