Compass News

Navigating News on the Ammerman Campus Since 1962

Compass News

Compass News

T20 Cricket World Cup Preview

A look at the top teams heading into the tournament

For the first time in history, the T20 Cricket World Cup will be played in the United States of America. The World Cup will be co-hosted by the West Indies Cricket Team and the U.S. Cricket Team, making their debut appearance in the tournament. The U.S. will be hosting in Lauderhill, Dallas, and East Meadow, New York, where a pop-up stadium has been created in Eisenhower Park on Long Island.

The World Cup will feature 20 international cricket teams separated by four groups in the initial group stage. The top two teams in each group will advance to the Super 8 round, where the ensuing top two teams will compete in the semi-finals.The two winners of the semi-finals will face off in the World Cup match.

America and Canada will kick off the T20 World Cup on June 1 in Dallas. The final will be played on June 29 in Barbados.

With the World Cup just a few weeks away, here’s a look at the top 10 ranked T20 cricket teams according to the International Cricket Council heading into the tournament, as well as a look at the first U.S team in the World Cup.

India

The #1 ranked team in T20 cricket, the India Cricket Team boasts stars up and down the lineup. International superstars Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli are the highlights as batsmen, with the rising star Yashasvi Jaiswal making his World Cup debut as opener. India’s biggest weapons are batsmen Suryakumsar Yadav, or SKY, the #1 ranked T20 batsmen, and fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah, the most terrifying fast bowler on the planet.

England

The reigning champions of the T20 World Cup, the England Cricket Team is captained by star wicket-keeper Jos Buttler, the #8 ranked T20 batsmen. Their lineup features one of the best opening pairs in the tournament, with first-timer Phil Salt  playing alongside veteran Jonny Bairstow at the top. The bowling will be led by all-rounder Sam Curran, who won man of the match in the last final, and Adil Rashid, #1 T20 bowler.

Australia

Winners of the three ICC trophies in 2023, the Australia Cricket Team will try to continue their dominant run in the 2024 World Cup. They will be captained by all-rounder Mitchell Marsh, whose recent form has seen him become one of the best batsmen in all formats of cricket. The batting will be headlined by superstar Travis Head, who carried Australia to an 2023 ODI World Cup victory with his incredible century. Australia’s biggest strength will be their bowling, with fast bowler Josh Hazelwood and leg spinner Adam Zampa being among the best in the business.

New Zealand

Captained by superstar batsman Kane Williamson, the New Zealand cricket team are looking to win their first ICC trophy since 2021. The team is almost identical to their last T20 World Cup squad, featuring only two new players in young all-rounder Rachin Ravindra and fast bowler Matt Henry. The batting will be led by Williamson alongside veterans Daryl Mitchell and Devon Conway, while the dangerous Trent Boult will frontline the team’s bowling.

Pakistan

Runner-ups for the last T20 World Cup, the Pakistan Cricket Team is captained by superstar batsmen Babar Azam, who is ranked top 5 in every cricket format. Alongside Azam is star wicket-keeper Muhammad Rizwan, the #3 ranked T20 batsmen in the world. The team features arguably the scariest fast bowling in the World Cup, led by their trio of Shaheen Shah Afridi, Naseem Shah, and Haris Rauf.

South Africa

Captained by superstar batsman Aidan Markram, the South Africa Cricket Team will attempt to return to the playoffs for the first time since 2014. The team has arguably the most destructive batting in the world, sporting stars such as Reeza Hendricks, Heinrich Klaasen, and Quinton de Kock. The bowling will be reliant on the form of star fast bowler Kagiso Rabada, who has been impressive in T20 leagues around the world.

West Indies

One of the hosts of this T20 World Cup, the West Indies Cricket Team will look to capture their third T20 World Cup victory and their first since 2016. Despite missing the 2023 ODI World Cup, the T20 team appears to be in good order, captained by veteran batsman Rovman Powell. Nick Pooran, the wicket-keeper for the team, is expected to break out this tournament following his torrid run through some of the best T20 leagues across the world. The bowling will be led by star off-spinner Akeal Hosein, the #3 bowler in T20 cricket.

Sri Lanka

Winners of the 2022 Asia Cup in T20s, the Sri Lanka cricket team will try to win their second T20 World Cup, exactly ten years after their first and only win. They will be captained by superstar all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga, the #2 ranked all-rounder and bowler in T20 cricket. Sri Lanka’s biggest strength is their bowling, featuring #5 T20 bowler Maheesh Theekshana and the young star Matheesha Pathirana. Batting will be a huge weakness, with Kusal Mendis being their only batter ranked in the top 20.

Bangladesh

Captained by young star batsman Najmul Hossain Shanto in his first World Cup appearance, the Bangladesh Cricket Team will try to make their first T20 World Cup playoff appearance. Bangladesh will be led by wicket-keeper Liton Das, one of the few veterans on the team, and superstar all-rounder Shakib Al-Hasan, the #1 ranked all-rounder in T20 cricket and the former captain of the team.

Afghanistan

Coming off an inspired performance in the 2023 ODI World Cup, the Afghanistan Cricket Team are hoping to make some noise and advance past the group stage for the first time since 2016. The team will be led by superstar all-rounder Rashid Khan, one of the top ranked T20 bowlers with the ability to bat for power. Afghanistan’s biggest strength will be their bowling, with young stars Fazhalhaq Farooqi leading the pace and Noor Ahmed leading the spin.

U.S.A

The United States Cricket Team will be making their first appearance in any World Cup due to their co-hosting of the tournament. Ranked #19, the U.S. cricket team has their chance to make some new fans and can help give cricket a name throughout the country with a big win or two. The captain of the team is wicket keeper Monank Patel, who played under-18 cricket in India growing up. The star of the team is fast bowler Ali Khan, a veteran who has played in T20 leagues around the world and will headline the bowling lineup.