A Look Back on Suffolk: Journalism Graduates Class of 2022

This multimedia piece features the 6 journalism graduates and other familar faces.

Erin Hoeler

Erin Hoeler

The Suffolk sign on the Ammerman Campus on Thursday, May 5.

Erin Hoeler, Features Editor

For the last two years, the journalism majors have experienced your ‘not-so-typical’ college experience. From virtual learning, to masks and social distancing, and have finally made the switch to no masks with no distancing restrictions. The Class of 2022 graduates started their college career online and are ending their time at Suffolk in person. 

Allison Luna 

“It’s weird going from seeing you in a box, to now seeing you in person and let alone graduating in person,” said Allison Luna, 20, one of the journalism graduates and Editor in Chief of Compass News. “It’s nice to finally have this opportunity, considering we didn’t have that graduating high school.” 

Daniela Weihskoph  

As journalism majors, it was expected that these students expand their horizons and get out of their comfort zones and interview people that they did not know prior. “I always get anxious about it because I overthink the questions too much and worry that they won’t understand my English,” said Daniela Weihskoph, 21. “I’m excited to be the first generation of my family to go to college. I’m even more excited because I got accepted to Stony Brook for International News.” 

Sara McGiff

Before entering the field, many of the students learned that you need to love what you do. “It’s not a field where you’re going to start out making a lot of money, it’s going to be really hard to break into the field. You’ve got to stick to your guns and give it your all, and you’ll end up somewhere,” said Sara McGiff. “My great grandfather worked at the Associated Press and was one of the first American journalists to be stationed in Japan. Coming to Suffolk County Community College really just affirmed that this is exactly what I’m going to be doing.”

Kyra Higbie  

From the AP Style Guide, to the Adobe Suite, many learned that journalism is a learning curve. “It was a lot harder than I anticipated,” said Kyra Higbie, 20. “I am passionate enough to navigate that without letting that discourage me.” 

Sofia Oakley 

When the students finally got the opportunity to meet each other in person, they were able to create friendships that will last a lifetime. “What started as working together on projects, turned into a really strong and tight-knit friendship between Erin, Ally and I,” said Sofia Oakley, 19. “I’m really glad to have met my best friends.” 

Erin Hoeler

As for myself I knew that I have always wanted to pursue a career in English and later Journalism. While I am looking forward to graduation, it is definitely a bittersweet experience. I’m glad that I had the experience at Suffolk and fortunate that I got out of my comfort zone and met the students, now friends, that will continue the journey into the next chapter of my life. While Stony Brook will bring about new challenges and experiences, I’m excited about the memories that will be made, and excited to see what the future will hold.

Now that we are (almost) graduates we are able to reminisce on our time at Suffolk County Community College and prepare for the next chapter in life. This has been the Journalism Class of 2022. 

Happy Graduation!!