Suffolk Named a 2021 AASHE Sustainability Award Finalist

Drew Biondo

The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) has named Suffolk County Community College as a finalist for a 2021 AASHE Campus Sustainability Achievement Award that recognizes outstanding progress in higher education sustainability.

Suffolk is being lauded for its innovative Mini Virtual Treasure Hunt Event that was achieved with a dedicated team of faculty and staff who presented short online training modules for students, faculty, and staff that highlighted the College’s Energy Conservation Program. The group also presented energy saving tips for both the workplace and home.

“Suffolk’s Office of Sustainability is a leader in cultivating a greener campus by enabling collaboration among students, faculty, administrative departments, and staff that helps create solutions that reduce our carbon footprint,” said Suffolk County Community College President Dr. Edward Bonahue.

”Students were extremely enthusiastic and actively participated in the Energy Treasure Hunt,” said Professor of Chemistry and Department of Natural Sciences Assistant Academic Chair Richa Prakash, adding that they “were very passionate about conserving energy and resources.”

“Discussion Boards were very active and it was helpful having Committee members not only monitor individual boards but be able to provide responses on all boards. It was a very positive sharing experience,” said Office of Sustainability Energy Specialist Carol Malley.

The AASHE Sustainability Awards provide global recognition to the individuals and organizations leading the higher education sustainability movement. With the help of volunteer judges, this program raises the visibility of high-impact projects, pioneering research, and student leadership that helps to disseminate innovations and inspire continued progress toward environmental, social and economic health.

The finalists were selected based on overall impact, innovation, stakeholder involvement, clarity and other criteria specific to each award category. Winners will be celebrated during a virtual awards ceremony on Thursday, Dec. 9 at noon Eastern.

To learn more about AASHE’s Sustainability Awards programs, please visit http://www.aashe.org/get-involved/awards/.