Ammerman Campus Celebrates Black History Month

Leanne Pastore

“Kujichagulia,” a self-determination interactive display, is in the Babylon Student Center. The display, which references the second principle of Kwanzaa, will be in The Nook until Feb. 25.

Leanne Pastore, Reporter

The Office of Campus Activities and Multicultural Affairs is sponsoring numerous events throughout February honoring the contributions and triumphs of Black Americans throughout our nation’s history.

“We always talk about America being this melting pot. But how often do we take the time to learn about these different ingredients in a melting pot?” said Malika Batchie-Lockhart, assistant director of campus activities and multicultural affairs, related to the office’s efforts regarding Black History Month. “Dare to step out. Step out of your comfort zone. Go to something, go to a culture that you’re not familiar with. Learn something- because that makes you more understanding and appreciative of people from different backgrounds.” 

The theme of this year’s annual celebration is “Black Health and Wellness,” and 2022’s events promote practices for physical and mental well-being while providing a month-long opportunity to learn more about the diverse body that makes up our community. 

For more information, click here.

Tuesday, Feb. 8, 12:30 p.m. – Get Moving: Tools to Combat a Sedentary Lifestyle (Mildred Green Room, Babylon Student Center)

Wednesday, Feb. 9, 11 a.m. – Welcome Back SAAS Social – Sister 2 Sister  (Islip Arts, Room 108)

Feb. 9-25 – Kujichagulia: Self Determination Display Honoring and Celebrating Black History Month (The Nook, Babylon Student Center) 

Thursday, Feb. 17, 2-3:15 p.m. – Silence the Shame, Empower Yourself! Exploring the Stigma of Mental Health in the Black Community (Mildred Green Room, Babylon Student Center)

Wednesday, Feb. 23, 11 a.m. – Who Am I Series Presents … Spill the Tea: Unpacking Code Switching (Mildred Green Room, Babylon Student Center)