Suffolk Sharks Basketball 2022 Opening Night

Peter Nicolino II, Staff Writer

The Suffolk Sharks looked strong during the first game of the season on Nov. 12 after a 92 to 82 victory over Northern Essex Community College.  

For opening night, the team faced the Northern Essex community college men’s basketball team, who came into the game strong with four wins and zero losses. The team was quickly outmatched by the Shark’s shooting, rebounding, and playmaking. Suffolk was up 20 points by the end of the first half.  

The future looks bright for Shark’s basketball after first-year student Amari Isaacs scored 23 points in his first college game. Issacs ran the floor for Suffolk and played point guard, which is an extremely difficult position to be put in at the start of a career. Another key player is first-year Angel Duran, who dropped 25 points and sank five three-pointers, showing the team’s versatility in players.

Second-year students Joshua Blair and Yvan Fils-Aime serve as Suffolk’s veterans and are the only two players that were on the team last year.  Blair proved to be a brick wall under the basket for the Sharks and prevented many drives by Northern Essex offensive attacks, shining as a defensive standout on Saturday, accumulating multiple blocks and a multitude of rebounds. Suffolk’s team has 13 players, only three of which are second-years. Head coach Victor Correa was happy with the showing that the young team displayed. The future looks bright for this talented, promising first-year heavy group. 

To check out the game, check out Suffolk Community College’s Facebook page or SharksTV.