Extra Scholarship Funds are Often Available to Students

Scholarship by Nick Youngson CC BY-SA 3.0 Pix4free

“If students do not apply for scholarships, the money remains in the foundation endowment investment accounts,” said Sylvia Diaz, , executive director of the Suffolk Community College Foundation.

Jarrick Ambrose, Staff Writer

Suffolk County Community College offers a variety of merit and need-based scholarships to new, continuing and graduating students each year. With an estimated average annual cost of $5,270, after receiving financial aid, it is imperative that students take full advantage of scholarship opportunities offered on campus.

“We are not done disbursing scholarships for the academic year. Currently, 685 students have received scholarships, making the total amount spent thus far $645,830.30,” said Sylvia Diaz, executive director of the Suffolk Community College Foundation.

“If students do not apply for scholarships, the money remains in the foundation endowment investment accounts. These are not college funds, but are donations from donors and corporations,” Diaz said.

Inquiring students can find upcoming scholarships by accessing the Suffolk website, clicking the apply/enroll tab and selecting the scholarship option. Eligibility for each scholarship varies based on the standard established by the scholarship donor.

“Suffolk has always advocated for students to take advantage of scholarship opportunities on campus,” said 25 -year-old Enoch Osei Asibey, of Coram, an information technology major and recipient of the Get There from Here scholarship. “Students seeking information beyond the website need to know college advisors are available to help students,” he added.

The Get There From Here scholarship can award students as much as $6,500 annually. Remaining funds can be used towards textbooks and other items needed for classes. 

Since winning the scholarship Asibey’s experience at SCCC has been less stressful. “The scholarship has been very effective, it has introduced me to work and volunteer opportunities enhancing my overall management and planning skills,” he said. 

In addition to online resources, Suffolk also promotes scholarship opportunities by posting flyers and hosting workshops. However, some students feel Suffolk could be even more proactive. 

“If the school offered introduction courses that focused on scholarships students would be more inclined to take advantage,” said Travis Craft, of St. James, a 19-year-old radio and television production major. 

“A little financial help never hurt anybody.”