Compass News

Navigating News on the Ammerman Campus Since 1962

Compass News

Compass News

A Moment In Time
A Moment In Time
April 4, 2024

Club Fair Welcomes Students to Spring 2024

The Ammerman Campus Spring Club Fair returns with pre-Covid energy
Michael Melecio
A view of the spring club fair from the second floor of the Babylon Student Center on Jan 31. 2024 (Compass News/Michael Melecio)

The Spring Club Fair hosted by the Office of Campus Activities and Student Leadership Development on Jan. 31 drew hundreds of students seeking to learn about the dozens of clubs they can participate in on the Ammerman campus. 

The fair took place in the Student Babylon Center, where, upon entering the building, students were greeted by a set of tables that promoted some of the clubs. But the majority of the tables were on the upper floor in the Montauk Point Room.

From clubs such as the Student Chemical Society, Aspiring Teachers, and the Society of Writers, to clubs that support diversity such as the Muslim Students Association and the African American Student Union, the club fair offered, said Lorraine De Leon, an event coordinator and professional assistant in the Office of Campus Activities.

“The club program really allows our students to provide groups and events, and it’s pretty much a space for people to share like-minded ideas,” she said. “Being a college student is as difficult as it is, but the club program is an escape from people, where they can put aside any potential anxieties, and they can focus on the stuff that they enjoy.”

The fair is also a great way for the clubs themselves to be recognized, as there are several clubs across campus that students might not even know exist, such as Cybersecurity, Japanese Culture and Language, and ASL Club. Every club was always looking for more members so people with similar hobbies can band together and do incredible things, whether it be having fun and making skits in Broadcasters Club, or going on field trips and visiting the city in the Italian Club.

“There were over 45 clubs. We were at capacity, which is big because we typically don’t get a large turnout in the spring, so it was great to see that,” said Frank Vino, director of the Campus Activities and Student Leadership Development. “It felt like Common Hour is back. It felt like students wanted to be a bigger part of the program.”

Even if someone does not find something that speaks to them, the campus still hosts several activities that help people get involved in student life. Campus Activities Board, for example, is a program run by students with the intent to make every student feel included. 

“We focus on on- and off-campus activities for inclusive and diverse members of the campus to make everyone feel safe.” The group had its own booth at the fair and promoted the “Stuff-a-Plush” event, where students get to bring life to their own personal plush animals, which took place on Feb. 7.

The club fair is set to return next fall semester. 

“Hopefully, the students that participated this year, whether they were representing a club or not, tell their friends or colleagues or classmates that this is a program you absolutely don’t want to miss next semester.”