Sharks beat Lions

Suffolk Men’s beats cross country rival Nassau at home on Feb. 3

Riley Zalbert

Players wait for the ball to come out of the air, from a Nassau player’s shot attempt at the beginning of the second half. Thursday, Feb. 3, 2022. Brookhaven Gymnasium, Selden, New York.

Riley Zalbert, Staff Writer

Suffolk Men’s basketball team, the Sharks, went up against rival team Nassau Lions on Feb. 3 whose last meeting on Dec. 7 saw the Sharks edge out a one point victory at Nassau Community College (67-66). The Shark’s lead of nine was enough of a cushion to help the team to a victory at home against a tough Nassau defense.This meeting was a tense one with both teams scoring well into the half.

The team won 79-67 nailing 53% of their total shots from the floor.

Forward Gaetham Fils-Aime (13) had a staggering 23 points,11 rebounds, and four blocks off the bench while Guard Aj Knight (3) poured in 24 points (4-7 from 3pt), 7 rebounds, six assists, and two blocks.

https://www.sunysuffolkathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/boxscores/20220203_mnb9.xml?view=boxscore 

As the team plays ahead, they won their next games against Manhattan Community College (79-64) on Feb. 5, Monroe College (75-70) on Feb 8., and have two games until the end of the regular season. As of February 7, the team is ranked #13 in the country in the DIII NJCAA division with a 16-3 record. https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/rankings/DIII/index 

Jaylin Williamson (10) a freshman, has been playing and has contributed well across the season.

Against Nassau in December Williamson scored 8 points, two rebounds, and two assists. While against Nassau on Feb. 3 he scored 8 points, three rebounds, and a steal.

Williamson’s approach along with the team’s is simple yet essential, “ We just take one game at a time building our chemistry,” he remarks on the teams game against Nassau, “That was our best game yet, we brought maximum energy and effort in both halves and did not let up.”